The following is taken from the New Zealand Country Music Association website as available 1st September 2006. For up to date rules or further information please refer to their website.
RULES OF ENTRY TO AWARDS
- All material performed in these Awards must be of COUNTRY ORIGIN.
- All contestants must be financial members of a Country Music Club that is affiliated to the N.Z.C.M.A. at least THREE (3) months prior to the Award being held.
- Current Overall winners of Awards eligible for the N.Z.C.M.A. Country Music Entertainer of the Year Awards, are eligible to enter Awards but cannot represent any other Award in that same category (Categories defined as Solo, Duo or Group) in which they have already qualified.
- SECTION AGES
JUNIOR: Under THIRTEEN (13) years as at the FIRST (1) Day of August, of the current circuit year.
INTERMEDIATE: Must be THIRTEEN (13) years but under the age of EIGHTEEN (18) years as at the FIRST (1) Day of August, of the current circuit year.
SENIOR: EIGHTEEN (18) years or over, as at the FIRST (1) Day of August, of the current circuit year.
VETERAN: FIFTY-FIVE (55) years of age, as at the FIRST (1) Day of August, of the current circuit year.
- Contestants must be amateur as defined and not contracted to a recording company, or receive a major part of their income in the last FIVE (5) years from these activities. (Amateur is defined as not deriving a major portion of income from performing music).
- Where stage names are used full names must be advised on the entry form. Once accepted, no substitutes are permitted, but members of a group may be less than originally advised, but not less than THREE (3) members.
No harmony backing allowed, except as part of a DUO/GROUP entry, or other enhancements allowed.
- Instrumentalists using electronic instruments e.g. keyboards, must not utilise memory banks for pre- programmed automated playing.
- Competitors are restricted to their respective age groups.
- Contestants eligible for the N.Z.C.M.A. Country Music Entertainer of the Year Award must abide by the Rules of Entry to the N.Z.C.M.A. Country Music Entertainer of the Year Award, as defined by the N.Z.C.M.A.
- Any violation of the above rules may result in disqualification. In the event of a dispute or interpretation of the rules, the convenors decision will be binding on all parties.
CATEGORIES FOR AWARDS.CompulsaryMinimumOptionalSENIOR SoloMale Vocal
Female VocalMale Vocal
GospelSolo VocalOpen VocalWestern or Old timeSolo VocalOpen VocalDuo / GroupDuo / Group VocalDuo Open
Group OpenADDITIONAL CATEGORIES Veterans 50+Solo VocalOpen VocalTraditionalSolo VocalOpen VocalYodellingSolo VocalOpen VocalInstrumentalSoloOpenSongwritersSoloOpenNew Country
( Song must have FIRST been released in
the last TEN (10 ) years).
Solo Mixed age Duo / Group
This is optional. If contestants want to enter in the Entertainer of the Year show then contestants
must stay with their respective age groups.
NOTE: Under – 18 sections or the optional sections can be solo or open Western section can be acoustic or full backing
HOUSE RULES FOR AWARDS.
- The entry form must be signed and verified by the President or Secretary of the represented clubs after it has been filled in.
- Backing bands will be available for auditions in all sections, no other accompanist allowed unless contestant plays own instrument. Contestants are required to provide four (4) copies of fully chorded song sheets, named and attached to a firm backing with non-reflective surface.
- Contestants to perform one item completely in the Auditions. Finalists must perform a different item to that of the Auditions
- Contestants to report to official registration desk at least thirty (30) minutes before their advised audition time. Contestants not available when called may be disqualified.
- Judging will be on Musical Ability, Presentation and Entertainment Value. Any tie breaker to be a count back on a selected category. Ie Musical ability.
- Finalists must attend rehearsals when required and may be accompanied by one (1) representative where applicable.
- The Awards Committee has the right to limit the number of entries, they may add to, combine, or delete from the programme where necessary and beneficial to the majority. NO LATE ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- The Convenor must be consulted prior to any recall being performed.
- The organisers reserve the right to record and broadcast any or all of either the Auditions or Finals, subject to copyright conditions where applicable.
- Contestants or their parents/guardians will give a signed undertaking to return any/all trophies in good condition when requested to do so.
- Contestant’s equipment is used and stored at their own risk. The Awards Committee will not be responsible for the loss, damage or theft of personal effects and /or property.
- The organisers reserve the right to refuse admission to any function. No alcohol or illegal drugs are permitted in the halls or backstage.
- Contestants must not contact judges or scrutineers with the intent to influence decisions or allocation of points.
- That entrants in the U-18 section at Awards are eligible for the Overall Award in their own categories e.g. Junior or Intermediate. NB. This is optional to all affiliated Awards.
If the option is not used it must be stated in the House rules of the Award.
RULES OF ENTRY TO THE NEW ZEALAND COUNTRY MUSIC ENTERTAINER OF THE YEAR AWARD.
- All Material performed on these Awards must be of COUNTRY ORIGIN
- Entrants must sign a declaration to abide by the rules of this contest and agrees to assist in the promotion of the same.
- Entrants must be financial members of a club or be an Associate Member affiliated to the NZCMA at least THREE (3) months prior to entering an Award that is an affiliated group i.e. Club, Region or Organisational member.
- Entrants must qualify within the following age criteria: JUNIOR:
- Entrants must be Amateur as defined by the NZCMA and not contracted to a recording company or receive a major part of their income in the last FIVE (5) years from these activities.
(Amateur is defined as not deriving a major portion of income from performing music).
- In the event of an entrant releasing a recording for commercial purposed after qualifying and prior to this event, then that item shall not be eligible for performance on the NZCMA Entertainer of the Year Award.
- Entrants to attend rehearsals as and when required and may be accompanied by ONE (1) guardian or representative.
- Entrants may appear ONCE (1) in any particular category. i.e. SOLO, DUO or GROUP.
- Entrants may have the use of official backing band and vocal harmonies as supplied by the organising committee. No other instrument or voices will be permitted, unless self accompanied.
- DUO or GROUPS, performing on either N.Z.C.M.A. Country Music Entertainer of the Year Awards, must fall into the same age category as stated under RULE 3 of the above.
- Entrant's equipment is used and stored at their own risk. The N.Z.C.M.A. and the N.Z.C.M.A. Entertainer of the Year organisers will not be responsible for the loss/damage/theft of personal effects and /or property.
- Persons found using drugs, alcohol or guilty of offensive behaviour will be disqualified.
Must be under the age of THIRTEEN (13) years as at the FIRST (1) Day of AUGUST, or the current circuit year.
Must be THIRTEEN but under the age of EIGHTEEN (18) years as at the FIRST (1) Day of August, of the current circuit year.
Must be EIGHTEEN (18) years or over, as at the FIRST (1) Day of August, of the current circuit year.